I arrived in Lille, France today. It was a very long and stressful journey to say the least. I left from Philadelphia at 5:45 for London, but I was at the airport by 1:30PM. This gave me too much time to check bags and go through security...and then sit and wonder if I actually remembered everything. I realized that I did still have a lot of questions, and maybe did not check over everything as best as I could have done. But, I guess I'll find out how well prepared I am after my first week of classes. I am so concerned about fillin gout paperwork for health insurance and a French bank account. I have no idea what I am doing or what to expect. I have someone at the university helping me tomorrow, so I'm hoping she puts my mind at ease. Regardless, I got on the flight trying to relax and ended up sleeping for a good portion of it. I have plane narcolepsy, I swear. When the plane was getting ready to land in Heathrow, I could see London outside my window. It was dark because it was so early in the morning, and it wasn't exactly buildings I was observing, but lights. It was beautiful. I could tell where towns and cities were, more than just London, by the same clusters of lights. I'm not sure I can describe it, but I wanted to take a photo- I restrained myself because I did not want to look like the biggest tourist known to man.
After I arrived in London, I had a slight layover until my plane left for Paris. This was a short flight, and then I was left to navigate CDG. I did remember to a degree where I was going, but thankfully Kelly was with me to figure out where exactly to purchase the train ticket to Lille. The guy who sold me my ticket was really nice. He knew I was American and we spoke a blend of French and English, but I think he appreciated my determination to speak some French. He didn't understand me when I first said my destination though, which I thought was funny (hence the entry title).
Then, Veronique picked me up at the train station. She seems nice, but she talks often and fast and I am not able to always understand her. Plus, I feel like an idiot because I cannot truly contribute to the conversation much. I'm in my room right now watching French TV and trying to let the parentals know that I'm alive. I'm not sure if I should attempt to make conversation and leave my room or just wait until she is ready to take me around Lille this afternoon. I am horrible at social interactions. I'm trying to ease myself into this new environment so far away from home, even if it's in the France that I love!
I'm so incredibly excited for you and your adventure :)
ReplyDeleteMerci! I hope to have many exiting things to post :)
ReplyDelete